Re: [Harp-L] Aura: a harmonica or a Jaw harp?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nidalap :D~" <nidalap@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, February 14, 2005 5:04 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] Aura: a harmonica or a Jaw harp?

>   I'm curious about what "Aura" actually was:
>   a free-reed instrument? or a Jaw harp?

Hi, Nidalap.

Clearly the Aura was a collection of jaw harps. And jaw harps are free reed
instruments. But I think that to say that this is the prototype of a
harmonica is too far fetched. It surelly has some resemblances to the
harmonica and is a very interesting historical instrument. But, since it
doesn't work primarily on blowing and/or drawing, but on plinking, it is
another kind of instrument. I would like to see someone playing a
boogie-woogie on that wheel!
All the best,
Fernando