[Harp-L] re: Demo CD

"From:  "Hal Iwan" <haliwan@xxxx>
Subject:  [Harp-L] Demo CD

If you were to make a "basement" recorded cd to use as
a demo, how many songs
would you
put on it?

Thanks as always,

Hal Iwan"

If it is a basement demo, I'd put parts of songs.  If
it can be of good quality, I'd suggest three full
songs that play to your strengths.  This way you'll
always have a cd of songs for promotonial purposes.

You could record something like 10 songs and then have
a cd of song clips and one with actual cuts, too.

I've heard that most the people looking to hire you
that hear it will only listen to parts of the songs
anyways, and won't listen to more then three or four
of any length.

My band is headed to the studio and we plan on
recording 4 full songs.  We picked four that the
people who will only listen to a minute of it get a
good impression, and the people who listen to the
whole thing will get to hear how tight the band is and
the solos, etc. since the longer they listen the more
into the musicianship they'll probably be.

If I was in a cover band situation and needed to show
that my band can play many different types of music,
I'd for sure go with just short clips of songs.

=====
Mike Fugazzi
"Nite Rail"
Harmonica/Vocals