Re: [Harp-L] Using flute or trumpet mics for acoustic cupped sound

----- Original Message ----- From: "George Brooks" <gbrooks1@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "Harp-L" <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, February 11, 2005 5:27 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] Using flute or trumpet mics for acoustic cupped sound

Winslow wrote:

>My reason for avoiding lapel mics is the lack
>of directionality - not only because of feedback
>but also picking up other instruments and
>amplifiers in some situations.

I've been looking into lapel mics, and they are available in both omnidirectional and cardioid (aka unidirectional) pick-up patterns. This may or may not be the best solution for what Winslow wants, but it would be wrong to reject it on the ground that lapel = omni.

While playing chromatic, I have used the tiny little Radio Shack lapel mic (about $25) inside my hands. I was surprised that placing it inside my hand didn't prevent the cupping vibrato and wah-wah effects from being audible. This suggests that hand cupping changes the acoustics around the harp in addition to attenuating the sound. Lack of directionality is not a factor in this application. Using the mic inside the hands allows lower gain settings which reduce feedback.

This Radio Shack mic is so cheap, good, and easy to obtain that there is little reason not to experiment with it to see what it can do for you. I have one built into my rack with a clear plastic deflector to direct sound to it when I sing over the harp. Even though this one isn't cupped in my hands, its close proximity to the harp allows lower gain so that feedback isn't a severe problem.

This is an electret capacity mic with good fidelity over a large frequency range. You will have to use electronics to provide any "crunchy, overdriven, mellow, etc." effects.

YMMV,

Vern
Visit my harmonica website: http://www.Hands-Free-Chromatic.7p.com