Re: [Harp-L] another harp experience

Steve Webb wrote:
Last night I
played the national anthem prior to a high school hockey game here in
Minnesota.
---Thanks Steve...I know just how you feel.Coincidently, I played the national anthem myself last night, but at a high school basketball game;I teach at this high school and have been playing the anthem at basketball games there for a number of years...not every game, but several each season.I also play it in first position but I play it in the middle and upper octave; this neccesitates overblowing the 5 hole so I take pains to do my best to get that OB in tune...actually in the past I used a country tuned harp so I didn't have to OB but I don't own one right now so...anyway, I play it in as traditional manner as I can...no flourishes, no showing off, but I do put my heart into it, as I'm sure you did, Steve.
It's always an honor to play the Star-Spangled Banner, and to play it for the kids[many of whom I teach-it's a very small school] and their parents is very rewarding...furthermore I've had many folks tell me they didn't know a harmonica could sound that way;it's a great bonus to be able to, in my own small way, help spread the word about what our "humble" little instrument can do.
WVa Bob