Re: [Harp-L] who's Dave Rice?

Hi Ludo and All

IMHO, Dave's the leading Old Time (in short - pre-Bluegrass Country &
Stringband) harmonica player today; also he's an expert in pre-war Blues and
a walking Deford Bailey memorial. Dave lives in the Cleveland area and works
fulltime building stringed instruments at Goose Acres Folk Music Center. He
plays alot for dances in Ohio. Also plays and has been recorded on guitar,
fiddle, and other instruments. He usually gets out his area in the summer to
various festivals & gatherings. Has taught Old Time  harmonica several times
at Augusta Heritage (WV) and The Swannanoa Gathering (NC) and always tries
to get to the Appalachian Stringband Festival at Clifftop WV (the Mecca for
OT music), where he's played in prize-winning ensembles. He's got a huge
repertoire and has to be heard at a dance or session to be believed - his
recordings and "formal" gigs are just a hint of what he can do. He can play
with the elite-level fiddlers and banjo players and bring their sound to a
higher level. Obviously, I'm prejudiced <g>. American Harmonica Newsmagazine
had a nice article on him in June 2002 after "On the Job Too Long" came out,
and he's performed at SPAH. I always have some of his stuff in my playlist,
and if you all buy up his lasted CD, his wife might not make hime wait 3
years to do another.

These are the recordings I know of where he plays harmonica:
The Boiled Buzzards. Salt & Grease - Marimac 9027 (1990) Cassette
The Boiled Buzzards. Fine Dining - Marimac 9043 (1991) CD
Andy Cohen & David Rice. Grinnin' in Your Face - Marimac 8008 (1995) Cassette
Strings and Things. Shady Grove - BERG01 (1996?) Cassette
The Bergman Brothers. Fine Artiste: Old Time & Blues - BERG02 (1998) CD
Dillof, Rice & the Cuyahogians. On the Job Too Long - Montana Peak 001 (2001) CD
Dave Rice and His Old Time Cronies. Ned Went A'Fishin' - Green Swamp 006 (2004) CD

The ones that are still in print can be purchased at http://www.elderly.com or http://www.countysales.com , except for his latest which you can get directly from him at

Dave Rice
2462 Old Mill Road
Hudson OH  44236