RE: [Harp-L] Using flute or trumpet mics for acoustic cupped soun d

Dave Ferguson writes:

Using any condenser type lapel style mic should work just fine outside
the cup, of course the signal would be a bit weaker and you'd have to
compensate for this by adjusting the amp/PA.

Winslow's idea of a velcro strap on the wrist should be OK in fact I've
had some success with this just tucking the mic under my watch strap
although I've not had the opportunity to try this in a gig situation
yet.

Let us know how this works out if you're going to try it. There may be
bleed/feedback problems in a very loud stage setup but there's no harm
in trying.

==============Winslow

My reason for avoiding lapel mics is the lack of directionality - not
only because of feedback but also picking up other instruments and
amplifiers in some situations.

The mics designed for flute and trumpet have a cardioid directionality
pattern, which should help cut out bleed and reduce the potential for
feedback, and I'm thinking the miniature gooseneck will help with
aiming the mic directly at the opening in the hand cup from close range
- hence the wrist mount.

I found a cheap "Janet Jackson" wireless system on Ebay for 99 cents
(nobody else bid or went for the buy-it-now price of $14.95). I'm not
expecting much from it, but it should be useful in trying out the
"stage door" method of placement outside the cup and A/B'ing it against
inside-the-cup ring mics.

Others have sugggested turning a ring mic around to put it outside the
hand cup. It occurs to me that it is then pointing completely away from
the sound source and will pick up much less harmonica and much more of
whatever is going on on around me. Again, trying it out will be the
only way to determine how well this might work.

I have similar reservations about the around-the-neck,
pointing-up-at-the-player systems. Aside from looking like a pharaoh's
beard that is failing to connect with the chin, it may not stand up to
the bleed test in loud situations.

Winslow