RE: [Harp-L] Pro-Junior Noise

Jim/Rich

I have a Pro Junior.  I've done several tube swaps.  I get more buzz with a 12AY7 in the first stage and a 12AT7 in the second and 12AT/12AX, or 12AU/12AX.  Less with a 12AY/12AU.  I get some with a 12AU/12AY which is what I have in there now.  Try a different power outlet.  Bad power strip?

Chester Neal

RichBeau@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Jim

When you fire it up with nothing connected to the inputs do you still get a
hiss? Do you have to put your ear near the grill to hear it? Or can you hear
it from across the room?

If you can barely hear the hiss then it's probably the mic. It's either
picking up some white noise in your room or there's an impedance match
issue.

If the hiss is still noticeable then you've probably got the same stupid
problem everyone one has that buys one of these. When I got mine it buzzed,
rather obnoxiously. Remove the top, middle screw. That should stop the
noise. It's caused by the screw putting pressure on one of the
potentiometers. If you cut about 1/4" off the screw you should be able to
replace it and get rid of the buzz. How they can get away with this
manufacturing error I don't know, but they do.

If that's not the problem then the next suspects are the tubes.

--Rich