Re: [Harp-L] BendOMeter, what's up?

I knew someone was going to say that! Right, most (all) programs that I install come from a "trusted" supplier, such as Norton/Symantec, Microsoft, etc. They can't afford to do too much subversive stuff, and certainly not damaging stuff because they are public companies, etc. I almost never install 'freeware' and those sort of applications from "no name" suppliers. Used to be  you could do that, but no more.  Most are trojan horses for viruses, spyware and so forth.  When I saw the java prompt asking me to give unrestricted access to my computer and the internet, I did what I usually do when my firewall asks this - say "NO".  Once I grant that unrestricted access, even my firewall can't help me if this thing decides to do something malicious.

If the author has gone on to other things, he should turn off the internet requirement and submit this to the public domain, with source code so that someone can improve it.  Or at least offer it for sale that way. This feature alone might have killed his sales. This goes back to the time when companies like Lotus were making their software so difficult to use with copy protection schemes, people stopped buying them (and there was *always* a way to get around the copy protection!).  Bendometer is good stuff, I hope the author reconsiders his approach.

Back to the harp subject, has any one used Harping Midi http://www.harpingmidi.com/ It seems to have the same type of harp diagram on it, but I can't tell from his doc whether it responds to the microphone to show how on-pitch your notes are.