Re: [Harp-L] BendOMeter, what's up?

On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 10:02:11PM -0500, Bill Hines wrote:
> This looks really cool, and just the thing for a techo-person who wants to
> learn/improve. I've seen positive comments here or elsewhere. But I'm
> concerned about a few things:
>
> 1. Does it only run from the internet connection? Anyone who says "Yes" to
> that prompt about letting it have *unrestricted* access to your computer and
> network is insane or asking for trouble. You are basically granting it
> permission to silently delete or send any of your files over the internet to
> whoever. That's crazy. I see some reference to doing a "desktop" install but
> no instructions on how to do that (it didn't prompt me when I clicked the
> link to install it). If anyone has a desktop install package, please send it
> to me. I'm more than happy to pay harpsoft for this.

Yes, it only works with an Internet connection.  You are not the first
person to want a non-Internet version (now who could I be referring to?).
I suspect that once it is out of his control, everyone in the world will
have it the next day.  It is annoying to only be able to run it when
connected, but, as a computer guy myself, I can understand the desire
to control access and try to make a few bits on your hard work.

> 2. The guy who owns it hasn't responded to any messages or requests for help
> on his discussion board since August. That's a concern.
>
> Any input? Is there a better product? I'd really like to try this.

I had some trouble getting it to work on my system when I "subscribed" a
year ago or so and the guy who owns it was quite helpful.  I don't know
what may be happening now.

I actually paid for a years use...someone recently alluded to it being
free?  I dunno.  I guess I'll figure that out if it stops working.

The main drawback to it is that I can bend 2 and 3 great when I'm
watching myself do it but not so good without it.  Maybe I can get some
sort of wireless Internet connection and beam the display on my glasses
when I'm playing.  Now that would be cool!  This aside, it really
has helped me to get a better handle on bending.  My ear is not quite
trained yet so the visual helps a lot.

I have no clue if there is anything "better" or even the same so I can't
answer that question for you.

jaime
Disclaimer: I ain't got no stinkin' disclaimer!