[Harp-L] Re: Howard Levy CDs

Ben commented:

[From Michelle]:
>> And don't forget "Live Art", a double CD set that has the fantastic
>> "Sinister Minister" which won the Flecktones Grammys, including Howard.
>
>You're right, and Live Art is an excellent live album, but with a single
>track with HL I didn't want to recommend it as a HL record. Incidentally,
>the DVD Bela Fleck an dthe Flecktones - Live at the Quick is one of the most
>awesome music DVDs I own, and it doesn't even feature Howard Levy ;)
>
>Ben

I've listened a lot to "Live Art" myself, just because it really is a nice
collection of outstanding numbers in general.  And actually, Howard also
plays a bit of harmonica on the cut "Flying Saucer Dudes", as well as
keyboards on that and several others.  I enjoy listening to his keys about
the same as his harmonica really.  As for "Sinister Minister", Howard told me
he was more proud of that album than pretty much anything else, as it won
that Grammy for him and the others.

One recording featuring Levy not mentioned yet, [and there are dozens, of
course,] is a favorite of mine that is also not very easy at all to find.
It's called "Border States" by Glen Velez with Howard.  It's a captivating
ensemble of haunting rhythms and sounds, and every time I put it on, I can't
help ending up listening to it all the way through again!  Lots of percussion
glued together with Howard's artistry on harmonica, ocarina, penny whistle
and jews harp; even includes some overtone singing.  :)  Speaking of eBay as
we have, that's where I got it!  Snatched it away from a local harper I know
who was in a band with my son at one time.  Felt just a twinge guilty for
that... well, not really!!  :)  I really wanted it!!

As for the Flecktones, I've always had a love for their work with or without
Howard.  Lately, they have Jeff Coffin filling in that area, and of course,
he's a very skilled, multi-instrumentalist... from sax, to clarinet, flute,
whistle [penny and actual whistling,] vocals, keyboards, and on and on.  But,
I haven't heard him play harmonica yet.  Wouldn't surprise me if he does.
Anyone know?  He sat in with a jam band my son was playing with in Atlanta
awhile back and the two have gotten to know each other a bit, so I guess I
could ask my son if he knows.

The latest Flecktones "Little Worlds" is a great 3-CD set, but no harmonica
on it at all that I can find.  Just about everything else, though!  Thanks
for the heads up on the "Live at the Quick" DVD, Ben.  [I should pick it up
and then next time my kid comes over with his Bonnaroo DVD, I'll make him
watch the "Quick"!!]  ;)

Bobbie