From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Laughton, Bob
Sent: Tuesday, February 08, 2005 4:40 PM
To: rainbowjimmy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] RE: amps on Ebay

Rainbow Jimmy:

> Do people buy amps on Ebay? How do you know if the amp works?

I've bought two Pignoses on eBay, both were great (and cheap!)

> How do you know what it sounds like? Same with mics. Any instrument
> really.

I've bought 3 mikes, 5 banjos, a guitar, a B/C button accordion, at least 50
harmonicas (don't tell my wife!:-) and 2 mandolins.

> It would scare the heck out of me to spend any money on something like
> that.

To buy successfully on eBay takes practice, a feeling for who the seller is
(grammar and spelling are often helpful clues), and checking their feedback
is paramount. Someone with 100 or more positives and no (zero,0,nada)
negatives in their feedback, in my experience can be trusted, once you suss
them out. Someone with 0 or 1 feedbacks can be a new and/or inexperienced
seller, or a scam artist. Then you have to play it by ear (an area where we
harp players excel!)

eBay actually has a lot of web pages with tutorials and help files to guide
the anxious and inexperienced. And start small, build your confidence with
some keys you may be missing in your diatonic collection. If I am
contemplating bidding on a used harmonica, I always email the seller and ask
if it is a 'non-smoker's' harmonica. I learned that one right away...

I also never buy 'store' items, unless it is something rare - I just keep
searching until I find a private party that decided they didn't really need
that Chromonica in C# after all. Both the Pignoses were 'new, but slightly
used' from private parties.

Good luck, let us know what you find.

Bob