Re: [Harp-L] Amps on E-bay

For what it's worth, I had a great experience buying an amp on eBay. I was looking for a good starter amp that I could also do small gigs with, and had settled on a Blues Jr. after messing with one on at Guitar Center. So I looked on eBay and found a limited edition tweed Blues Jr. that was still under warranty, and had plenty of pictures to prove it was in the pristine shape the seller claimed. Since the seller's description was well written, and he had plenty of positive feedback, I took that leap of faith you always do to a certain degree, and started bidding. While I can't clam to have gotten a great deal, as bidding got hot and I got carried away, I did win the amp. What worked out great was he was pretty local, so I could go and pick it up without the shipping hassle for either of us. The amp was so complete, it even had the box and tags. So I got a nice little amp that suits my needs just fine and looks gorgeous on stage, and I never would have found it otherwise. If I ever get my own tone good enough to justify an amp upgrade, I'd happily look at eBay again.

--
Colin Epstein

SpaceCowboy123@xxxxxxx wrote:

Many times buying an amp on E-bay is a crap shoot. The seller may be sincere but if a competent tech hasn't gone through the amp or the seller is not really knowledgeable ... You don't know what you're going to get. The speaker might be ready to go...the amp might not be what the seller thinks it is... due to some previous "genius" owner -mod... Or it just might be on the verge of needing an overhaul. For sure you should check out the feedback and ask any questions that comes to mind... Then again, if the seller is ignorant; you are back to the crap shoot scenario. I'd say over half the time; you can count on sending it to your tech. So you can add anywhere from $ 50-75 right there. If you've never played through a certain amp; then you're going by the opinions of others such as can be found in places like: http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/Data/. Or other harper's recommendations. There... depending on the applications...Opinions vary. Some guys are like political pundits; they put their spin on it. Some leave out things and some are really honest. That's one thing I like about E-bay seller: johhn a.k.a. Sonny Jr. He knows what he's talking about and he doesn't jack around. Just 2 cents worth.. nothing more.