[Harp-L] Re: eBay

I've bought a fair few bits and bobs on eBay (more than 100), from a Beware of the Harmonica Player sticker for a few bucks to a lot that included 20 harp mics (£900) and last year even bought a car ( £2100 for Volvo estate, which can handle all my equipment hauling and child moving needs) online. I did go test drive the car, of course!

I've sold a few things off, as well, and only occasionally had to nudge people to hurry up and pay. I think I've been nudged once or twice myself, too.

I have never had anything go missing in the post, even with all the stuff that has been shipped to me from the USA to the UK. I usually ask people to send by Air Mail small packets and it comes in 2-4weeks, although one or two have been two months in arriving. Do get insurance on expensive items, though.

I got a defective mic once from a UK seller and got a refund after a few emails.

I had a problem with a credit card number I mis-entered when I registered with PayPal, they clawed back payments that had already been made by me to about 15 buyers. I had a slew of angry/confused emails which I had to act fast to defuse. There was a happy ending and thanks for everyone's patience. How PayPal transfered money on a mis-entered number I'll never know, but do take care with this.

Also beware of bogus emails which look like they come from eBay asking you to reconfirm your ID and password. I've had one of these that looking like it was from eBay and one that looked like a PayPal email. Both sites have contacts you can send suspect messages to and they respond fast.

It is a leap of faith but one I'm glad I've made. To be able to find all the vintage/rare stuff I've bought from all corners of the world is wonderful.

I have 110 positive feedbacks (and no negatives), my ID is honking_dave

-- Dave Shannon