Re: [Harp-L] Electronic Tuner Use

I think that the most important is to learn how to stabilize your note during the bend.

Many of the teachers that I know (including myself, Fred Yonnet...) recommand the use of a tuner to play your note "in tune".

Well, for Blues, that may not be needed to be perfectly pitched, but we are trying to play music, so we need to play in tune.

What I do is a calibrate my tuner on 442 Hz, and I try to play a chromatic scale keep the needle at the center of my tuner.

Froggy

Tony Renshaw <tonyrenshaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Gidday,
I am a newbie and am wondering about using my electronic tuner for working
on tone control. It tells me if I hit the note correctly, displaying a
centralised needle position with both a sharp and flat light on and an
electronic cricket. So, when I play a C harp 2 hole draw it will tell me it
is flat, but I don't know how to control the tone on the flats. So, it does
have a range of +/- 50 cents on the scale, but not only do I not know about
cents, I also don't know the value for C harp, 3 hole B flat draw, A on a 3
hole draw, or A flat on the same hole. Can my current tuner be used in this
manner, or is there a product recommended that will tell me if I have good
tone on these bended notes? I know to listen, but at this early stage of
learning I have found it very useful to get the right tone, and then try
and make a mental note of the sound for future reference.
Reg
Tony R.
Sydney