[Harp-L] Embossing/gapping question

Hey folks,

My recent forays into the world of embossing have been pretty successful but
I do have some things  I would like to fix.  On the plates that I've
embossed, the harps are way tighter and more responsive but I find they are
choking some in fast and/or forcefully played solos. I suppose I should open
up the reed gaps some here to compensate for this. But doesn't that sort of
cancel out the improved compression you get from the embossing?  This leads
me to a whole set of questions about reed shape and curvature that I'm
almost afraid to ask as they are too numerous and tedious.  I've checked out
some articles on the subject on Harp-on and elsewhere and while I really
respect the energy and time these people have put into writing about this
stuff I'm often left with very little useful information.  I'd like to cut
down the number of times I disassemble and reassemble a harp from 40 to
about 5, otherwise I'd never ask any questions about it at all.

My questions are these: Is the solution to the above problem to keep the
reed profile flat until about a centimeter or two from the end and then have
it lift off at this point?  Should it dip down into the slot and then rise
back up and away from it?  Should it stay straight as hell the whole way and
just rise up from the rivet point or heel?  Or should I try scooping out
some slot material from the end, beyond the reed end?  See what I mean about
numerous questions?

I've managed to get some really close tolerance by embossing but I can see
that the gapping stuff becomes much more touchy as a result.

If anyone who knows what he's doing would like to hold forth on this issue
I'm all ears - or eyes or what ever.  You know what I mean.

Sam Blancato, Pittsburgh