[Harp-L] Re: A Night in Tunisia

Let me start by saying that my hat is off to ANYONE brave enough to submit a rendition of
Tunisia to the scrutiny of harp-l!  Thank you Richard!

> This recording was made last night in my hotel room.  It's played on a
> Hohner CX12 chromatic in C . . .

Meaning your harmonica is a C harmonica.  Your recording itself is in the original Dm.

To my ears, your version seems an octave too high.  On my recorded version with my Bb XB-Melody I
had a choice of octaves. I chose the lower octave even though it was more difficult for me (slower
reed response and repeated use of the #1 and #2 blow bends), just because the next octave up
seemed too shrill.

You didn't have a choice of octaves when using your CX-12 C harp but I'm testing it right now in
Dm on my CX-12 G harp.  It sounds a lot better in that lower octave and the whole song lays nicely
in that position.  Mike Polesky also plays it in the low octave on his tenor tuned C chromatic.
Someday soon I'll get him to record and upload a version that will put all of us to shame! :>