[Harp-L] Re: Mel Lyman

So not even one response to the Mel Lyman post?   I guess a lot of harp-l'ers aren't familiar with
him.  The very first song I ever learned off a record was Mel Lyman's 1st position "Jug Band
Waltz".  Then I learned how to bend by attempting to duplicate his 2nd position "Jug Band Blues".

I found it interesting that when an artist like Taj Mahal praised another artist like Mel Lyman,
there was no mention of technique, speed, proficiency, gear, tunings, reed modifications or any of
the other harmonica esoterica that consume so much of harp-l's bandwidth.   The only thing that
mattered to Taj was Mel's extraordinary ability to connect with his audience on an emotional
level.  That's something we DON'T seem to talk about much on harp-l.

By the way, here's a link to an advertisement where Mel endorses Hohner's new Blues Harp.

http://www.trussel.com/lyman/hohner.htm