Re: [Harp-L] tongue roll/full-tone-bend

Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 12:45:17 +0100 (MET)
From: "Klaus-Dieter Linsmeier" <KuKD.Linsmeier@xxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] tongue roll/full-tone-bend
To: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

>2)     The authors describes the head roll as a technique for trills
>first,
8<

The guys I know call this a headshake or a warble.  I've heard it referred
to as trill, but most of the time "trills" is musically incorrect, for the
notes that get played using this technique, but its commonly used by some
schools of harp players, including many professional harmonica players -
but it doesn't make it right.

Head shake, or head roll is a worrying approach.  Because using your neck
to shake your head at the rate required for a good warble is not good for
your neck, and physically one of the hardest ways to go about getting the
sound.

I didn't know this when I started out, I used to shake my head. But I
already had neck and back problems before I started, and doing things this
way just caused more painful problems - so I stopped doing it.  I've since
learnt to use my hands.  And I tend to refer to it as "warble".

Assuming you have two hands and aren't playing another instrument at the
same time, generally you can play the harmonica with both hands at any
given time.   So you can focus on your most co-ordinated hand to shake the
harp.

I'm right handed, I use my left hand to secure the harmonica, and to hold a
mic, my right hand is free to add expression/cupping, and also good for
pushing the harmonica around for techniques like warbling.

Holding my head and neck still but relaxed, move the harmonica left and
right  to alternate which hole is being played by your embouchure
(pucker/lipping, tongue block).   If its not working for you, slow right
down, you want to do it in a rhythmic fashion based on the timing of any
given piece you're playing over.

If you find your mouth following the harmonica, then just work at keeping
your embouchure relaxed, but static, maybe lighten the pressure of your
harp to your mouth, and concentrate on moving the harp without moving your
head/neck, or pulling your embouchure with it.

You could use a metronome, or a CD with a slow song you like, or anything
with a slow to moderate rhythm, to alternate from one hole to the other on
each beat.  Very slow, very simple until you get a consistant warble.
Eg.  Beat/#hole
1/#3 2/#4 3/#3 4/#4, 1/#3 2/#4 etc...

Then gradually speed it up, when you start tripping over yourself, slow
down a fraction and practice at that rate for a while.  With a metronome,
or some form of music that you can speed up and slow down, will give you a
beat to practice by.

Early last year I wasn't happy with my warbles at all.  I spent 6 months
practicing to play warbles smoothly and rhythmically using my hands instead
of my head. Although I improved I was still not entirely happy with my
warbles.  It takes time and regular practice.

>  then something he calls the tongue roll. But unfortunately there is
>no advice how to play it.
>Best regards
>Klaus

It can be done.  In terms of how it sounds, its no different to moving the
harmonica over your embouchure - there will always be  a transition time
when the two holes are briefly played at the same time.  Done smoothly and
cleanly it sounds just the same.

Place your mouth over two holes, eg.  Holes 3 and 4.   Start playing them,
then gently move your tongue to block hole 3.  When you've done that gently
position it over hole 4 until its blocked.  Work slowly back and forth at a
slow rhythm while playing the two holes - approach it like I've described
above.  The important thing to begin with is focusing on a clean transition
from one hole to the next.

Start real slow, practice getting it right, clean transitions,
rhythmically.  With time you train your body what you want it to do, so
make sure you're showing it the right way to do it.  As it starts to take
over, speed up slightly, and practice at that pace.  Rinse and repeat,
building up speed at a rate your body can handle, be it days, weeks or
months.   This is true of almost anything you are learning to do.

Practice makes perfect,
-- G.
http://www.angelfire.com/music/HarpOn/playing.html