[Harp-L] Finger mic and acoustic tone

I'm playing mostly acoustic music nowadays - trad music from Scotland
and various Canadian traditions. Often I play in totally acoustic
situations or in front of a mic on a stand. I use cupping to shape
tone, including keeping the cup totally closed.

I April I'm going on a short tour up the west coast with the San
Francisco Scottish Fiddlers along with about 60 other musicians. For
most of it I sit in the first or second row and blast away as part of
the "blob" of fiddlers all playing the melody and a few harmony lines.

In addition, I usually get a solo spot. In the past I've done something
with a guitarist and maybe a percussionist and stood at a mic on a
stand.

But this time I'll also be working with two harpists (the stringed
kind) who won't be able to move out front and a cellist, who may be
able to bring her chair out front. At different points in the
arrangement I'll be more closely allied with different musicians and it
occurs to me that it would be great to be able walk around while
playing, make eye contact, etc.

For something like that a finger mic seems like the best choice -
mobility and and and acoustic, hand cupped sound. I'm wondering which
of the varous finger mics will be best for an acoustic sound, and
whether any of them can deliver the sound of a closed hand cup.

My understanding is that most of these mics fit inside the hand cup.
When the hands are opened and closed, the mic picks up the change in
sound. But, being inside the cups instead of outside, would it pick up
the veiled sound of a fully closed cup as heard from outside the cup? I
would hope so but it would seem not.

I'm not looking for an amplified sound here, but a natural acoustic
sound.

Does most finger mics require a preamp or interface box?

Looking at the reviews on the Coast to Coast website, one writer
recommended against using the Madcat Shaker direct to the PA. From the
context it seems like he was talking about getting an amplified blues
sound, but I'm wondering of there are reasons to avoid a direct feed
for an acoustic sound.

Comments? Recommendations?

Winslow