[Harp-L] Jason Ricci at Moondogs in Pittsburgh

Hi Folks,

Just thought I'd give a short review on Jason Ricci's show on the 30th here
in Pittsburgh (Blawnox, actually, just outside of the city).  Jason and the
rest of New Blood put on an excellent show.  It's been a year and a half
since I caught JR and New Blood at Johnny's in Youngstown, OH and he sounds
even better than he did then and he was awesome then.  There were lots a
harp players in attendance and we were all walking around with our jaws on
the floor.  Jason gave one guy, Perry, a lesson on over-blows during their
one break.   Everything they played was just great but I particularly liked
Jason's cover of Going Down Slow which was played on an A harp (pretty sure)
in third position.

I really forgot how good these guys sound live but I remembered again when
Jason did a sound check before they started up.  He pushed out these really
strong, agile, raunchy riffs that just hit you in the gut and his sound was
just way out front throughout the show. Even some of the most famous blues
harp players often end up being their own sidemen in some parts of their
shows and CDs, leaving more of the aggressive lead instrument work to guitar
and keyboards.  Very few harp players, really put the harp out in front and
in your face like Jason Ricci does.  So if you love good blues harmonica you
get your fill; lots of long stretches of brilliant, virtuoso harp playing.
It's was a great show.

Sam Blancato, Pittsburgh