Fwd: [Harp-L] Bb or Eb Chromatics

Both Bb and Eb chromatics are tuned below the standard C harp. Standard
C (with Hole 1 blow as middle C) is the highest key of 12-hole
chromatic (though some manufacturer out there I am told does make a
high D). Noted exception aside, all other keys are pitched below middle
C.

While this does put the Eb and Bb chromatics in the same pitch range as
alto and soprano sax generally, be aware that saxophones have low B and
Bb keys - meaning low D and Db concert on an alto and low A and Ab
concert on a soprano - these notes are not available on the
corresponding chromatic harmonicas. But those notes aside you could
certainly use those keys of chromatic to read alto and soprano parts
without transposing.

Winslow

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jim Hanks <jhanks@xxxx> wrote:

This has probably been covered before, but please educate me again. How
are the Bb or Eb Chromatics tuned relative to a "standard" C chromatic?
I'm thinking the Bb would be just a whole tone below, but is the Eb
lower or higher? If lower, I'm thinking the Eb might be useful for
playing alto saxophone lines "as written". True? And that would make
the
Bb the equivalent of a soprano sax, right?

Thanks,
Jim