From: harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Cara Cooke
Sent: Monday, December 26, 2005 12:49 AM
To: Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] country blues/bluegrass?

It is primarily a matter of approach.  There is a certain amount of blues
indiginous to bluegrass by design, but there is still a very country sound
to it as opposed to the sound normally heard as blues, and it is still
melody driven, while being improvisationally derived.  If you remember that
bluegrass was once just one more face on country music, then you will see
how far back you would have to go to find the time period when the two were
really more similar, than distinct entities.  Not so, now, of course, as
delta blues has continued an encroachment on the country harmonica styles
and approach.  However, bluegrass has not significantly strayed from its
path.  It is still a highly melody driven, ensemble music fueled by
improvisation and creativity -- and a pure love of playing music.  So the
harmonica player in bluegrass tends to need to approach the music with the
same love, drive, woodshedding, and experience as the other
instrumentalists, or the harmonica just becomes window dressing that may be
in the way -- and consequently disgarded.  Where as, in country music, that
window dressing may now be considered requisite, and actual melodic playing
might be more found in the realm of a star, like Charlie McCoy.  As much as
we bluegrass musicians love to play the music and as hard as we work to
master our chosen instruments and tunes, we seldom ever have the same
opportunity to become a 'star' in the same manner simply because, in our
world, if you don't work that hard and develop mastery, then you tend to be
viewed more as a 'hack'.

Cara Cooke
www.cyberharp.isonfire.com