Fwd: [Harp-L] Princeton Reverb vs. Blues Junior

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Grant Kester <gkester@xxxx> wrote:

Dear List,

I'm thinking of getting a new (old) amp. Does anyone have opinions on the
virtues of a silver-faced Princeton reverb vs. a Blues Junior? Also, has
anyone ever tried a Peavey Delta Blues or a Crate VC/Vintage Club or one of
the new Gibson GA-15s for harp? These appear to be reasonably priced tube
amps, but they don't come up much for discussion on the list.

Best,
Grant Kester

Hey Grant, the Princeton is considerd a harp classic (Walter Horton).  I've read that the
silver face is good even if not the preferred vintage.  If it were me, I'd be excited to try the
Princeton (sadly, I've never played through one!).  It should be fairly easy for you to try out
a Blues Jr. -- a lot of harp folks play one.  I own an amp in the Crate VC series (the 508;
now called the 58) -- I don't really like it -- the distortion sounds artificial to me -- but
some like the amp.  I too have heard Mark Sallings sound great through a Peavey (I think it
was a Classic 30, but I can't swear to it.)     Bottom line -- try to play through as many of
the candidates as you can!  --jk