[Harp-L] Chrometta 12 maintenance

I bought a Hohner Chrometta 12 on eBay. Following, ok, SOME of HarpOn!'s chromatic maintenance directions (thank YOU to that person!), I gave it a half-assed cleaning.

I removed the cover plates, the spring, and the slide. The slide seems to have some corrosion near the handle end-- it's quite a bit rougher there. Scrubbing w/isopropyl alcohol and pro-audio swabs removed quite a bit of the grunge, but now it's just a CLEAN rough area. (My guess: prev owner smoked.) The slide DOES slide a lot better.

Question: any problems w/using fine grit emery paper to smooth out this rough area? Is the slide plated or stainless all the way through? I take it lubrication on the slide is a no-no-- correct?

On the Chrometta 12 it appears there's no easy, i.e. screw/bolt, way to remove the reed plates from the red bakelite comb-- is this correct? Is this what they mean when they say "nailed"?? But it's plastic!!!???

I'd really like to get the bakelite/plastic surround (is it the comb too?) piece off for a THOROUGH cleansing (scarey stuff in the holes), but it's not leaping out at me how to non-destructively remove the reed plate assemblies from the red plastic.

It looks like I'll have to replace some windsavers too. I'm reading up on that. Surprising the amount of highly evolved low-tech stuff in there!

** Media Production for the New Millennium **
** http://www.oz.net/~jeric/index.htm **
** "Mammon, of course is no friend to purity, but purity **
** doesn't put 200 tons of structural steel into orbit." **