Re: [Harp-L] Richard Hunter's Jazz Harp Book- "So What" solo

Slidelicks@xxxxxxx wrote:
"I am working on the Miles Davis solo on "So What", using the
transcription from Richard Hunter's "Jazz Harp" book. In a number of
places, phrases that use the notes C, B and A are notated using a
Blow-Draw-Draw articulation without engaging the slide. Wouldn't it be
more horn-like to engage the slide to produce the "C" and then use a
breathing pattern of Draw-Draw-Draw?"

I don't really remember why I notated the breathing the way I did.  In
general, using the blow C instead of the draw B# will tend to make the
line less legato and to accent the C, which might or might not be what
you want.  In some cases, it might also be nice to have the opportunity
to breathe out, but I don't think this passage is particularly tough in
terms of breath control or articulation with either approach.

Try it both ways, and see what you like about each approach.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com