Re: [Harp-L] Seydel Alternate Tuned Harps

Hello David,

jazmaan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx schrieb:

1) What is the "Eddie Clarke" Tuning?   I couldn't find the layout or a description on the Seydel
website.

yes, that's the tuning that I don't know either...

2) I couldn't find a layout for the "Blues Augemented Country" tuning.

I think that this is just an error. Forget "blues" and "country". It's the tuning known from Eric Chafer (Brendan Power has written here years ago about this french player). He plays chromatically without overblows with this tuning. I don't know why this layout is not printed on the website, but essentially it's like blow 1 is C, draw 1 is Eb, blow 2 is E, draw 2 is G, blow 3 is Ab and draw 3 is B. You have the possibility for bendind down two semitones in each hole to play the missing notes.

3) The Zircular layout and description is shown. I'm wondering if this is what Pat Missin would
call a Spiral Tuning?

Yes it is. But what you see is the C mixolydian spiral tuning, not the C major spiral tuning. It's certainly a bit confusing on Seydels site how they are describing some things...there is space to become better, Michael :-))))

Does it correspond to a particular tuning in Pat Missin's "Altered States"
treatise?  Same question for the other tunings as well.

Probably most (if not all) of the tunings are covered in Pat's book, but I am not sure what names he did chose. I am too lazy now to search my copy...

Does anyone here have experience with Seydel diatonics in general?

Yes I do. I have a few "Favorites", "Blues Session" and "Blues Musicmasters" (now discontinued - unfortunately). I also have some "Weltmeister Blackbirds" which are produced by the Seydels.
I think that all of these harps are good harps and worth the money. The only thing that I don't like is the wide spacing of the wholes, in the same way as the Lee Oskars. I prefer small hole spacing, like the Sp 20 or Marine Band from Hohner or the Weltmeister harps.

Do they overblow easily and
without squealing?

They do overblow easily, but for me (this may be a very personal problem due to my playing) there is always a good chance to have some squealing noises. But - I very much prefer alternate tunings over overblowing - if I would practice it enough this problem could be eliminated.

Do you like their metal, plastic or wood combs?

Since I haven't played a harp with a wooden comb from Seydel yet I don't think that I can answer this question. What I know: alu-comb and plastic comb are both good for me, except the spacing.....:-)))

I hope that all this has helped you a little bit,

Otto