Fwd: [Harp-L] Swan Chromatics?

You say "see if I like the chromatics". If that means you've never
played a chromatic before, THIS IS NOT FOR YOU. It will likely not give
you a good picture of what a decent chromatic is like.

Sure it's inexpensive. $24.95 is almost the right price. The right
price would be more like $15. $79 - in somebody's dreams.

Swan is a low-cost Chinese-made brand that sells mostly tremolos of the
$5 variety but has a couple of chromatics. Quality control tends to be
minimal or nonexistent. You might get something decent or something
totally unplayable.

One thing I would definitely do if you buy this instrument. Disassemble
it and examine all the reeds closely. If there are any jagged flakes of
brass still sticking to the reeds - this occurs as a byproduct of the
tuning process - knock them off so they don't end up in your lungs.
Then you should be good to go, along with any gapping or airtightness
measures you may need to take.

Don't get me wrong - I buy this type of product and I use it. But I
know what I'm getting and what I need to do to make it safe to play.

Winslow

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Don Grubbs" <jgrud@xxxx> wrote:

Anyone know about Swan Harps? Are they worth considering as a
Chromatic. There's one on Ebay for 24.95.
Buy now price!  They say it lists for 79.95?
Thought I would add one and see if I like the chromatics.. Think this
brand is worth fooling with?
Regards Don