[Harp-L] Landmark album from PT Gazell

Last week I took delivery of PT Gazell's new CD, "Swingin Easy ..... Hittin' Hard", via CD Baby. I have played it half a dozen times since then, and am listening to it now.

I consider it a landmark recording. In particular, PT makes a compelling case for valved harmonicas. While other players, particularly Brendan Power, play valved diatonics, there are none that I know of who use valved bends for the chromatic playing which characterises PT's music.

The CD comprises a TOUGH set of jazz standards, which PT motors through with apparent ease. His combo, "The Side Effects", Chris Brown drums, Roger Spencer upright bass, Andy Reiss guitar, and Kirby Shelstad vibes, is first rate. In particular, the tunes feature detailed interplay between the harmonica and guitar. Andy is ferociously great, and PT matches him totally. In short, there is barely a weak note on the CD.

It has been more than 25 years since PT's previous CD, "Pace Yourself". It sounds to me like he has spent the intervening time rehearsing this combo.

I do have a mild beef. I met PT at SPAH 2005, and found him to be the modest, easy to get on with guy that I had been expecting. And, he did play some tasty blues breaks, and joined the occasional jam, while deferring to the other players. It is now clear to me that the man was loafing! No other word for it. When SPAH 2006 comes, we will have all bought his CD (available at www.cdbaby.com), and he is sure to be put on the spot.

A final point. The CD has a killer 60's style cover, done by DG Strong, which includes pictures of the valved reed plates. These are the keys to PTs new musical realm, the pictures allow those interested to follow in his steps.

Tony Eyers
Australia
www.harmonicatunes.com