[Harp-L] nice jazz article

seen on the emule list.  nice to see an article the "gets it".
the notion of "greatest experiences ...given away cheaply,
to rooms of 50 to 200 people.' really resonates with conversations
we've had here.

> This article which appeared in today's New York Times deserves to be
> spread here, not least because Ratliff's piece touts two great cd releases
> featuring John Coltrane, whose multiple covers of Mongo Santamaria's
> "Afro-Blue" inspired the Boys to cover that song, too.
>
> The main reason, though, for posting this article here is because much
> of what Ratliff says here about jazz applies just as well, I believe, to
> what the Mule has done:
>
> "It gets forgotten, so it needs repeating: the studio is an unreliable
>  gauge of what the best jazz groups are really up to, even at the highest levels."
>
> and
>
> "This is how jazz works. It is not a volume business. (Its essence is the
> opposite of business.) Its greatest experiences are given away cheaply,
> to rooms of 50 to 200 people.'"
> Here's the link to the article:
>
> http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/21/arts/music/21jazz.html

----
Garry Hodgson, Technical Consultant, AT&T Labs

do for others with no desire of return.
we should all plant some trees
we will never sit under.