Fwd: [Harp-L] Custom Harps or better quality Hohners

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, <kyle@xxxx> wrote:

I've been looking into custom harps or just buying a better quality
harp, like the XB40.  I was hoping to get some advice from some of
y'all.  I have several special 20's that I need to replace, since
they're about 10 years old and dented and need cleaning.

Any advice?

Kyle

Hey, Kyle.
The XB40 isn't "a beter quality" Hohner (assuming you are talking
about a standard 10-hole diatonic, richter-tuned Hohner) -- it is a
whole different animal  -- designed to allow draw and blow bends in
all 10 holes.  If that sounds intruguing to you, go for it.
The Special 20's aren't bad quality at all -- your 10 year old ones
seem to confirm that!
Custom harps are a pleasure to play and really are closer to
the "better quality" standard 10-hole, etc.  Generally, you will play
one the same as a SP20 (unlike the XB40), but you will find that your
playing will adjust to the improved responsiveness of the harp.  I
love the custom harps that I have, and think one is worth a try if
you or Santa can find the cash!  Many folks learn to customize their
own harps to their own taste and style of playing, but that's another
subject!
Good luck.
--John K.