[Harp-L] looking for a good acoustic mic

George wrote:

I would be worried a lot more about the durability of the AT 4050 for
stage use than feedback.  The AT 4050 is a large-diaphragm condenser,
and these as a rule are considerably more fragile than dynamic mics.

I'd agree with George on the use of the AT 4050.  This is a terrific studio mic and in in limited cases a fine stage mic.  The AT4050 aside from being very fragile will also feedback if you use monitors, additionally it will pick up everything on the bandstand.  The AT4060, a tube mic I use on my bluegrass and old time gigs is amazing when set up properly.  I used mine on Friday at a bluegrass gig here in NYC.  We had bass, banjo, fiddle, mandolin, guitar, harp, 3 singers and ONE microphone, the 4060.  The secret is first to have no monitors, then using the mic, ring out the P.A. (in this case my Mackie board into a pair of Mackie SRM 350 Powered Speakers).  You ring out the P.A. by pushing the volume up on the board until it feeds back and then using a the multi band EQ on the board notch out the problem frequency.  Continue this until you have achieved enough gain to pick up the ensemble.  This mic sounds so natural, picks up the entire band and the mix is achieved by simply moving in and out for vocals and solos.  Many bluegrass groups work this way, not only does it sound great but it also has the added benefit of reducing the soundperson's role to that of a spectator ~ a good thing!

As I've mentioned before I like my M-69 for acoustic work as well as for my amped gigs.  I also use and like use the Beyer 160, as George mentioned it is very warm and smooth.  I haven't yet tried the Sennheiser 441 but I've heard Howard use it live and he sounds like...Howard!

Trip Henderson ~ NYC