Re: [Harp-L] re: overblow PLUS Paparozzi "Chestnuts"

"Chris Michalek" wrote:
<Richard Hunter is NOT an OB guy. His music is still great though.
<
<The TOP Tier OBers in my book are:
<Howard Levy
<George Brooks
<Michael Peloquin
<Otavio Castro
<Randy Singer
<David Pinzino
<Rosco Selley
<Sandy Weltman
<Carlos delJunco

I'm glad to see my music described as great, and I'm not sure what "an
OB guy" is. I do use overblows, on LOs and harps by other manufacturers,
on my recorded pieces as well as live performances, including my solo
take on "Blue Monk" (played in 2nd position on low F and G Lee Oskars,
as I recall) on "The Act of Being Free in One Act."

Most pros now know how to overblow, and many use overblows at least
occasionally, even if they're not known as "OB guys".  It's easy to see
why.  I don't think any serious harp player who heard Howard Levy in the
1970s, 1980s, or 1990s was unaffected by it.  You couldn't just ignore
that stuff, any more than you can ignore what John Popper is doing now.
I know that Rob Paparozzi has put a lot of work into studying
overblowing. I've put many hours into it myself.  Clint Hoover is a
master of overblowing, but he's apparently better known for his
chromatic work, which I agree is completely original, brilliantly
played, and a lot of fun to listen to.

Speaking of brilliantly played and a lot of fun to listen to, I
responded to Rob Paparozzi's offer of a download of his version of the
Christmas song "Chestnuts". I strongly recommend to everyone on this
list that they check it out.  Great jazzy chromatic harp, great bluesy
diatonic, great arrangement, great band.  In short, great.  I didn't
check to see whether Rob is overblowing on it, but it really doesn't
matter.

Thanks, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com