RE: [Harp-L] SBW2 comments

Jim McBride writes:
> ...Actually I was just listening to SBW2 and its on "Keep Your
> Hands Out of My Pocket". I have it on the Chess 50th Anniversary
> SBW Best. The line is ...
>
>   Producer: "Go man go"
>
>   SBW2: "You better cut it now because if you let it cool
> goddamnit it won't be worth a damn!"

I've read that it was Leonard Chess himself that SBII exhorted to get going
with the recording.

>   You could interpret this as having something to do with
> recording but my guess is that he's talking about some kind of
> food :-) I've read that he was notorious for his eating

My favorite SBII story surrounds his eating.  To me it speaks volumes about
the man.

While on the 60's Folk Blues Festival Tour in Europe the perfomers longed
for some down-home cooking as they couldn't find anything remotely
resembling the fare they were accustomed to.  So, ever resourceful Sonny Boy
procured a large electric coffee pot and proceeded to brew up a mess of
beans and ham in his hotel room.  Unfortunately cooking in the room was
expressly against hotel policy and upon detecting the odor on the floor, the
hotel dick (detective) deemed it his duty to ferret out and stop the
offender.  The aroma soon lead him to SB's room and he proceeded to knock
threateningly on the door.  SB opened but did not take kindly to someone
interrupting his cooking, hotel dick or no.  He asdvised the dick to go on
about his business, but the man was intent on exercising his authority.  As
it happened, the door to SB's room was immediately opposite the stairwell.
So SB grabs the dick by his necktie and while deftly whipping out a
switchblade with the other hand, he swiftly backs him up to the top step to
the point where he is hanging over the edge, held only by his necktie.  SB
then summarily cut off the tie at the knot, sending the dick flying
backwards down a flight of stairs.  Sonny went back to his cooking and was
troubled no further about it.

Little did that poor hotel dick know what he was getting himself into when
he knocked on ~that~ door!

Michelle