Re: [Harp-L] all the notes on the diatonic

I agree with Richard on this one. I wasn't sure if anyone else could hear the difference so I didn't bring it up.

While there are players that are tasteful in their use of overblows and dead on bends to produce missing notes, that "sound" is there in most cases.
It's the sound of stress on the reeds which make the timbre stand out more then the other notes. The players that can use even breathe control on
both natural and ob/bent notes stand a better chance of making the note sound more natural.

Surprisingly most of the harp techs I hear use it seem to have better breath and pitch control then others. Probably due to having ears trained to hear variations in reed
pitch and timbre when setting up harps.

I'm not putting down any player for using them. The sound is just a byproduct of the technique.

I'm not sure if enough emphasis is placed on articulation once a student
learns how to overblow, Getting the note is only half the journey. IMHO, learning to sculpt the timbre of the note to sound fluid with the rest of the notes is where mastery of the technique comes in. I liken it to learning how to play a violin with fluidity. If you can't control finger pressure and how the bow crosses the strings for every note, the notes produced are going to stand out where one shows a lack of oneness with their instrument.

I recall reading some early harmonica players frowned on single reed harps because they produce bent notes too easily on them. Double reeds allowed them to play the melody without hitting unwanted notes. . Eventually single reed players learned to control and master the extra notes and the rest is history.

I think as more players learn to master proper articulation of overblows the better it can be appreciated.

mike