Re: [Harp-L] SB2

Please forgive an ignorant question (or, is that a question asked out of ignorance?):

I recently bought two Chess "Best of" recordings, one by LW and one by SBW. The SBW recording seems to more frequency limited than the LW record, although recording dates were around the same years, so recording techniques should not be vastly different. Some tracks are better than others, with the ones done in the '60's (63 and 64) the best. The question has to do with SBW's harp timbre compared to LW. This recording seems to indicate that SBW's tone is thin and reedy-is this an effect he sought to get, or is it a by-product of the recording techniques? All the tracks were recorded by Chess and released by them.

Thanks, bill

re; ' My favorite SBW recording is the one where you
can hear him cursing out
someone in the studio at the start of a cut'.

i think it was on "Quiet Village" - " You can call it yo' mamma if you wanna! Ya gotta get it while its hot, or it aint worth a damn." probably to producer Phill Chess. SBW should be in the philosophy books. C-Rad

--- Moandabluz@xxxxxxx wrote:

In a message dated 12/16/05 8:04:30 PM, SONNYTONE@xxxxxxx writes:

> Those weren't hands my friend, they were baseball
gloves,
> the man was enormous. Check out the German videos
where his hands covered
> the
> big 12 hole harp.

   The only video I have seen is from the Folk
Festival ones, and his fingers
overlap the end of the harp. His tone seemed edgier,
perhaps because he used
vocal mics in everything I have seen. I'm no SBW
expert, but it seemed like he
made use of a lot of different tones and probably
could make the thing sound
however he wanted.
   My favorite SBW recording is the one where you
can hear him cursing out
someone in the studio at the start of a cut.
Still a fool for the Harp
Steve 'Moandabluz' Webb
http://mail.yahoo.com