[Harp-L] (Relatively) "Cheap" Overblow/overdraw Practice/Learning Harp

For those with rather shallow financial pockets, there is a very good source for (relatively) "cheap" harps for practicing overblows/overdraws: "http://www.turboharp.com/TurboHarp+%2D+AX%2DS20s.html";.

Before giving the info, please note that I do NOT have any commercial ties with TurboHarp. I bought one of their harps specifically because (1) I wanted to try to learn overblows/overdraws; (2) the price was "right" for me; and (3) I didn't want to invest in a customized harp until I had at least learned basic techniques.

Here's an excerpt from the product description:

"Based on the Hohner Special-20, this customized harp incorporates the Patented "TurboLiner" to provide unmatched air-tightness and compression. Set up for "Blues/Folk" style allows for maximal bendability and the Overblow/Overdraw setup we tighten the gaps and add "TurboTape" to reduce the "dog-whistle" effect. (US Patent 6,359,204)

The tolerances on the AX-S20 are very tight--much more so than a conventional harmonica. This is what provides such high compression. But it also makes it more susceptible to reed jamming due to buildup of oxidation and dirt. Now with TurboFloss, a thin piece of stainless steel, you can dislodge any crud that might have deposited along the flank of the reed within the slot.

Includes:
	Modified Hohner Special-20
	Pair of TurboLiners
	TurboTape to critical reeds (OB/OD setup)
	TurboFloss *new*
	and, of course... the TurboLid

Available in low D, low Eb, low E, low F, G, Ab, A, Bb, B and C only. (Due to the amount of 'finesse' involved in making these harps we do not sell any of the AX components separately). "

The currently listed price for an overblow/overdraw harp is $52.99 ($47.99 for the harp and $5.00 extra for reed setup for overblow/overdraw).

Coast2Coast Music has the Special 20 harps for $17.95 and TurboLids for $9.95 - total: $27.90. TurboHarp sells the (unmodified) Special 20 with TurboLid for $29.99.

The difference between the lowest price of the unmodified stock Special 20 with TurboLid and the specialized overblow/overdraw TurboHarp AX S-20 is $25.09. IMHO, that's incredibly LOW for a certain amount of customization, and the capability to practice/use overblows/overdraws. Please note that this is NOT a customized harp ala Filisko et al., but it is certainly "customized" vis-a-vis a stock harp.

Bottom line question: does this harp make overblows/overdraws easier? YES!

I usually play Lee Oskar harps, but they don't make it easy to overblow/overdraw without a lot of tinkering. I could hit the 6OB the FIRST TIME, using the AX S-20, without a lot of effort. Before getting this harp, I too relegated OB/OD to the category of "I need to learn how to do this - LATER". Now I can add this technique to the tons of other stuff I'm learning and practicing.

As with all things, YMMV: "Youse pays yore money, and youse takes yore chances!"

Crazy ('bout harp!) Bob