Re: RE: [Harp-L] harp-centric bands on archive.org

"MLeFree" <mlefree@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Jonat
> Jonathan, there's a 2-hour gig that harp-l's own Grant Dermody recorded with
> his occasional band, "The Harmonicasters."  Grant's a terrific player and is
> out front the whole time.  I think you'll like it.  I certainly do.
>
> http://www.archive.org/audio/etree-details-db.php?id=29090

that's a great show.

> Incidentally, Grant has a great CD out called "Crossing That River."  If you
> like the Harmonicasters, you'll really dig the CD (on cdbaby or his web
> site).  A wide variety of genres are represented and several very special
> guests add their contributions.  Superb musicianship throughout.

and that's a great album.

> Oh, and if you find other harp-based recordings of concerts or gigs on
> archive.org, let us know!  I do know that there are a number of vintage
> Grateful Dead shows that date back to Pig's heyday.

there are a bunch of shows with small amounts of harp on them.  either
guests or someone who does "vocals, guitar/keyboards/harmonica",
meaning not a lot of harp.   there're a couple of bela fleck shows with
howard levy.  there's a single show from a band called Brickhouse,
with some fun harp on it.  and there're two moe shows from 4/19 and
4/20/2002 (i think) with popper sitting in on the whole second sets of
each.  some good stuff on there.  i'm particularly fond of the "but anyway" >
"happy hour hero" on the 4/19 show.

> I do know that there are a number of vintage
> Grateful Dead shows that date back to Pig's heyday.

not clear to me what's left after the recent dead debacle,
but there used to be a dead show there with james cotton
sitting in, and i think some with lee oskar.

also, search for matthew kelly.  probably sitting in with the dead or NRPS.

the "search" facility is your friend.

----
Garry Hodgson, Technical Consultant, AT&T Labs

do for others with no desire of return.
we should all plant some trees
we will never sit under.