Re: [Harp-L] Re: live taping article

"Jonathan Metts" <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Garry, thanks for the link.  I hope Dylan's people read it and reconsider
> their stance on taping, but probably not after so many years.  It's good to
> see that they got Warren Haynes to comment, but I wish they'd also gotten
> Phil Lesh and not that Grateful Dead manager guy.  I saw Lesh in a PBS
> interview a few months ago, and he said allowing taping was "the smartest
> thing we ever did".

yeah, i had a number of minor issues with the article, like them using a
number of better known but "johhny come lately" bands as examples.
but on the whole, it was orders of magnitude better than most articles
on the subject, which usually portray a false "you're either paying 99 cents
a song or you're stealing" dichotomy.  whoever wrote it actually has a clue.
refreshing.

> Harp content: Can you or anyone else recommend bands on archive.org (other
> than Jason Ricci, of course) with a lot of harmonica playing?  All I've been
> able to find is bands like OAR that might play it in one song per set.

there's not a lot i've found that has a lot of harp.  doing a search on harmonica
will find a bunch of hits, but many are one-song guest appearances or someone
who does "vocals, guitar, and harmonica", which typically means not much harp.

the best 4 shows (except for JR's) i've found for harp are Brickhouse (1 show),
Harmonicasters (1 show, grant dermody(!) on harp), and 2 moe shows from
4/19 and 4/20 2002 (i think), that each have popper sitting in for the second
set.  great stuff.

there's also some primo bela fleck stuff with howard levy.
do a search.

----
Garry Hodgson, Technical Consultant, AT&T Labs

do for others with no desire of return.
we should all plant some trees
we will never sit under.