Re: [Harp-L] overblow practice question

From: Moandabluz@xxxxxxx
This talk of overblows got me going a little... So I spend a few days this week practicing them, but I am figuring out that I still suck too much
(pun intended) in other areas that I am going to work on.

Steve is the 2nd or 3rd guy in the last few days to echo this sentiment. This is so sad. It seems to me that those players that have limited technique & musicianship consider OB's too daunting to commit to and those players that have great technique & musicianship on our instrument do not want to learn to overblow for a multitude of reasons:
1.) lazy, can't teach an old dog...
2.) too shocking to look at an old friend in a new way (see #1)
3.) stubborn traditionalist "LW & SB didn't need them"

I was lucky that I learned them after playing for only 2-3 years. Chris M. teaches them to beginners, I don't know how well that works, but what the heck!?

Mr. Ricci (I'm nasty) and I believe that if players only learned how to master the 6 OB (minor 3rd in cross) their blues playing would expand greatly. You don't have learn bebop licks or play everything on 1 harp, just add the octave of the epressive blue note that is 3 draw 1/2 step bend.

I can teach any player that can blow bend (esp. pucker guys) to OB in 45 seconds to five minutes. Email me offlist and I can show you by telephone.

with Misters B. Marsalis' & Ricci's permission:
Imitate
Assimilate
Innovate

Michael Peloquin