Fwd: [Harp-L] marine band deluxe

--- In harp-l-archives@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, TomEHarp@xxxx wrote:

can anyone tell me about thhis harp? and is it worth the 45 dollers?
what is
the difference?????

tom lee
harp and sax
Hey, Tom.
Search the archives a bit -- there was a lot of discussion about this
maybe 2 months ago.  You certainly want to hear from more than me
about it!

I think that many folks felt it was a lot of money for a harp that
didn't have the reed and plate work associated with a custom harp.
It has some of the features associated with a custom harp such as
opening up the back of the cover plates and sealing the wood comb
(btw, the wood comb is only partially sealed -- some folks thought
that was bad, others didn't).  My expectations were probably too
high -- expecting more in the playability area.  Because I already
had some money in it, I decided to have Rupert Oysler "finish the
customizing job" (btw, in "just" intonation) -- and it now sounds
great!  I don't think I would buy another one -- I'd just let Rupert
(or others) do the whole customizing thing.  I suspect that most
folks who do their own customizing don't mind doing the sealing and
opening up the cover plates, so I suspect they wouldn't start with a
deluxe. On the other hand, I don't think one can expect the reed and
plate work from Hohner at that price.  Just my take on it --
hopefully you'll hear from others.  --John K.