Re: [Harp-L] PAS, Clean Amps, and the "crunch"

There are world class touring professional harmonica players that lurk on this list - please consider what follows...

The Bose PAS is a new concept. Don't even approach it by thinking of it as another PA or type of amplifier. Not only does it have the ability to recreate cleanly and with a crystal clear quality whatever signal is sent to it (vocals especially), it also evenly distributes the sound throughout the air of the environment in which it is used - inside or outside. What you hear at the back of the room, at the side of the room, behind the column holding up the stairs in the room, is exactly the same sound (slight volume differences) that is heard in front of the stage and on the stage. There are NO hot spots, like in front of an amp or horn driven PA, where you will be blasted with treble, only to lose the ability to make out a vocalist's words once you move to the left or right of the direct sound.

The sound is like a concentrated drop of green food coloring in a small glass of water. It quickly distributes itself equally throughout.

WHEN USED PROPERLY, it eliminates the need for monitors and a separate monitor mix. What you hear is what everyone hears.

Imagine total control of your sound from the stage with the confidence that this is EXACTLY what the audience hears.

There is a good reason that sound crews and companies are VERY RESISTANT to having a band/performer use this system with nothing more than a line out to their mixing boards and the instructions to merely increase the volume of this signal if and when needed to fill the room. It eliminates 90% of their responsibilities and job. However, it puts TOTAL CONTROL of the sound BACK INTO THE HANDS OF THE PERFORMERS.

Since everything is heard perfectly on stage, the performers have a natural tendency to play with less volume. (This beats the h*ll out of crankin' the stage amp and insisting that the monitor signal of the vocals and the bass drum be pushed in their face in order to hear 1/2 of the rest of the band).

As a harmonica player, if you have a small amp that gives you THAT SOUND, bring it to the gig, get the volume to where it gives you what you want without any feedback concerns, mic or direct line it, and then bring it up in the BOSE system (which is incredibly feedback resistant). If you also sing, put your vocals through it. You won't ever have to strain to push your sound out and strain to hear what it sounds like. Imagine being able to perform with a very relaxed attitude, no matter how high energy the music is.

Try it with a PigNose amp. You'll still be heard over MrStevieRayGuitarPlayer.

Once you fine tune this system with your ultimate sound, you will carry your ultimate sound with you to any venue, regardless (to a point) of the differences in acoustics.

If you play theatres and large venues, you will retain total control of your sound over a sound man's idea of what he thinks you should sound like. Now, would this help with your confidence level? Would this help eliminate any concerns about the gig?

Harmonica players don't need the bass speakers, unless you are playing a bass harmonica. This puts the system new at $1800. Bose does not come down in price or offer discounts or sales.

Without the bass speakers, you have a 3 piece system (two long skinny sticks and a base unit - sticks may weigh 10 lb or less each, bass unit about 30). It sets up/breaks down in less than 5 minutes.

Add the bass speakers (very light weight as well) for enhancement on vocals and other instruments with a lower and wider range of sound.

Through my basic system, I've mixed in trumpet, sax, keys, line out from bass player, kick drum, conga mics, overhead drum mic and harmonica, and been able to get an incredible sound for my smooth jazz band live. The Mackey 12 channel board rests on my keyboard stand, so I control the total sound right from the stage.

Outside, we add a pair of small side speakers on stands and turn them up just enough to fill out the sound. Granted, this is pushing the one unit to its very max, sometimes a bit too much, but look at the potential - especially if you start using a second tower system or add on another bass unit with 6 low end speakers.

Aside from that, the members of the band have a gas playing at every gig, because it literally sounds like you are playing inside a CD recording. You can bet we get very creative in our improvisations. The audience has started complimenting us on the overall sound even more than in how well the musicians play.

So, take a trip into the 21st Century of sound possibilities. You can purchase a system with a complete 30 day trial money back period. Use it for a month and take it back. However, be prepared to not think like you used to about sound.

OPEN MIND IS REQUIRED.

The Iceman