[Harp-L] ovrblow practice question

Pablo Basso writes:

Hello list. I have a problem. I can play the overblows and overdraws,
but i don´t know how to use them.
What is the best way to get familiar with the OB and OD? play diferent
scales in all 12 positions? play melodies from others harmonica or sax
players? .

Scales and arpeggios are a great way to start. One suggestion is to begin with the major scale in all 12 keys. You already have the sound of the major scale in your head, which is a big advantage (I believe you have to be able to hear something in your head before you can play it accurately). An additional advantage is that the intervals are all either a half step or a whole step, unlike, say, the blues scale or the harmonic minor scale, which contain intervals of a minor third. Bigger interval jumps are generally harder to play.

I would suggest beginning by playing the scales to the ninth degree (to the octave and one note above the octave) and back down again. When you have mastered this (and, if my experience is any guide, this will take a long time), extend the scales two to octaves, then to the full range of the instrument.

Arpeggios are harder because the interval jumps are greater. I would suggest starting with the major triads in all 12 keys. (A triad is made up of the first, third, and fifth degrees of the scale, so a C major triad is C-E-G, a D major triad is D-F#-A, and so forth).

But maybe all this is suggesting that you run before you can crawl - it depends on what you have accomplished so far, which is unclear from your post. Here's a great exercise for beginning to integrate the overblows/overdraws and for getting them in tune, and it will also give you the foundation to work productively on the scales and triads. It's called half-step whole step. Start on a note, then play the note a whole tone above it, then go down a semitone, then up a whole tone, then down a semitone....For instance, C-D-Db-Eb-D-E-Eb-F....If you have piano or MIDI keyboard, pick out the notes on the piano as you play them. It really helps. Work at this exercise until you can play it over the full range of the harp. You can also play it in the other (down) direction.

Have fun!

George