[Harp-L] Work Song

     Hey Ken,
                       Butterfield played The Work
Song  in 2nd pos. on a Bb harp in the key of F minor.
The
only song I can think of him playing in 3rd pos. is
One More Heartache on Pigboy Crabshaw.I
never heard him do an ovrblow but if you really wanted
to play the melody legit you could overblow the 5th
hole (not my favorite since I play Marine Bands) for
the E natural or  you could
raise the pitch of the 5th hole draw 1/2 step (country
tuning).This requires bending to get the lowered 7th
which occurs much more often in the melody (the E
natural only once).I never heard
Butter use this tuning. I think he chose to omit the
note which doesn't really bother me that much
because it's a Maj. 7th relative to the tonic not part
of the blues tonality.This note really puts the tune
more in the jazz realm and works because the harmony
underneath it is a V7+9 so both the raised 9th and the
major 3rd of the V chord work.Not to be a heretic but
yeah F min. blues on
chromatic is really cool .You easily get all the notes
and play in a mode that's not heard often (as
is 3rd pos. on the chrome).
     I don't know where you are in Colorado but I'll
be there all winter in Avon (near Vail) @ The
Ritz-Carlton and you've inspired me to dust that one
off !

                                     Hammer Smith