[Harp-L] Re: What are gear options for traveling light to stand-in...?

Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 06:48:56 -0500
From: "M. N." <mnessmith@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Re: What are gear options for traveling light to
	stand-in...?
>A light, to-go rig!? You can't beat the Harp Commander II with a stick.
>Load it with fresh batteries, stow it in a bag with mic&cord, your harps
>and a cord to run to the PA board and you're good to go. You can use this
>rig to play a tiny coffee shop or Shea stadium. I have a Harp Commander and
>love it (as I've written ad nauseum on list). I am American but live in
>Europe, so I wanted something I can run on both continents without having
>to rely on a voltage converter; also, living in a big city, I don't have a
>car, so being light and mobile is essential (that's why I sold my Bassman
>RI when I moved here and bought a Marble Max 1x8 amp). My only problem is
>now Ron's gone and produced the Harp Commander II on me! I'd LOVE to be
>able to run my Harp Commander on batteries, thus not being "tethered" to a
>power outlet which, on a small stage, is often a hot commodity.

Hi M.N.
  Ever since I got my first Harp Commander (not HC II), I've been running
mine on batteries.  I use THREE 9volt rechargable batteries that last for
many hours.
  I've built two battery packs for the purpose, Ron told me how to do it
safely, and its pretty simple stuff.    Basically you need a container for
the batteries -- a "project box" from an electronics shop is fine, three
9volt battery clips, wire them in series, then wire them to an appropriate
plug to go into the HC's power input.    Thats it.
  I personally prefer this setup to the more bulky HC II that can only take
two 9volt batteries.  Although I gather the HC II has more gain on the Bass
and Level.

Cheers,
-- G.
http://www.angelfire.com/music/harmonica/amplified.html