[Harp-L] Re: XB-40 and Jazz on diatonic

At 04:09 AM 12/11/2005, Ken K Kwok wrote:

A writer complained that brand new golden CX-12 C- Hohner- won
in recent jazz contest in Fla was not good-8 draw slide in-B#.
There is no B# in music it is same as C.  I tried 8 draw slide
in on my Hohner 12 Chromonica.  It works fine.   In the same way,
there is no E# 3 blow.  It is F.

Actually, Ken, there are such notes as B# and E#, just as there are also Fb and Cb. They are rare, however. B# occurs in the C# diatonic scale, E# in the C# and F# scales, Fb in the Cb scale, and Cb in the Cb and Gb scales.

This is because the normal convention is to not duplicate a letter in constructing a scale. That is, if the scale is C#, for instance, you would not include the C as well as C#, so to write the scale correctly, you change the C to B#. The other scales follow this same logic. Also, there is no duplication of a sharp note nor a flat note either; ie, you would not have two F#s or two Bbs.

Something else that might be of interest is that every scale with one or more sharp[s] in it contains F#, and Bb is contained every scale with one or more flat[s] in it. F# and Bb are both pretty common.

Bobbie