[Harp-L] Re: Juke-joint Tricks

In my last post regarding Jimmy Warner playing two harmonicas at the same time, I forgot to mention they are both chromatics, and not simply diatonics.

Also, I note that with regard to playing "no-hand" diatonics, the late Don Les' name has not yet appeared. Don, the original bass harmonicist of the famed Harmonicats, was also a master at jazz on diatonics. But he played the 1-inch, 4-holed Little Lady stuck end-wise in his mouth, and using tongue and lips for manipulation and blocking, played jazz lines, not just chording as some have mentioned others doing on the ten-hole. Don was famous for his rendition of "My Blue Heaven" on the "Little Lady", as well as others. There are SPAH video tapes available showing his artistry, especially one with Mo Vint, playing chord harmonica and foot-pedal bass simultaneously. What a show this amazing duo provided!

And included in the 1942 film "Always In My Heart", starring the Borrah Minevitch Harmonica Rascals, a player can be seen marching with a diatonic endwise in his mouth. Of the harmonica players appearing in the film, only Richard Hayman and Ray Tankersley remain with us today. One of them may know the identity of the harper playing "no hands"?

Danny

--
BassHarp
PO Box 5061