Re: [Harp-L] Subjective opinions, MojoRed and crushing

Hey Chris,

Thanks for inviting me onto your stage when I was
in Phoenix on my recent work-(yuk)-related business
trip. I had a ball. You are one of the finest
players I have ever heard. Smooth, versitle,
inventive, intelligent, very very deep sense of
grove. And your rig cool too. Man-Oh-Man.

One moment you guys were playing Christmas tunes
with a decidedly Dave Brubeck easy-listening-jazz
approach, the next moment you're drilling the
living daylights out of Herbie Hancock's
"Watermelon Man"... Whew!! And those original tunes
just kill.

Your bass player and your drummer are top-notch
musicians. Don't lose them any time soon. They
picked right up on my blusified version of Nat
Adderly's "Work Song" even though they'd never
played it before. Too cool! I think it swung like
crazy. You won't be sorry about picking that song
up, but I doubt you'd need a button to play it. ;-)

And thanks for the very kind words here on the L.
Complimlents like that coming from a player of your
caliber mean a great deal to me (and I'm not
kidding).

But I think -- after hearing you play, and after my
temerity in sitting in with you -- that I have the
honor of being the crushee rather than the crusher.
You are a monster of the first order with a unique
and powerful musical voice. I was humbled and
honored to be up there with you, particularly on
that song where we traded licks.

But yes, you are indeed a softie. Thanks again for
a great evening, and the great CD! My brother inlaw
is still scratching his head trying to understand
how you could get all that music out of a ten-hole
harmonica. Hah! Me too!

Stay well!

Harpin' in Colorado,
--Ken M.

P.S. As long as your tossing your harps, why don't
you toss that beautiful Filisko G-harp over in my
direction. It plays like a dream.

--- Chris Michalek <Chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>