[Harp-L] contemporary masters

In a message dated 12/10/2005 2:03:00 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,  harp-l-

Blake  writes:

contemporary masters CDs

This year, on my christmas list, I'd  like to have some of the
contemporary masters' CDs. I know some of the  names (Del Junco, Levy,
Gruenling, etc.) but I don't know what to  choose.  Therefore, I'd love
some more specific ideas / reviews /  suggestions of the living masters.
Can you even get a Pat Ramsey CD these  days through the mail after
Katrina?

Assume I have Mr. Ricci (I'm  nasty), Musselwhite, and Paul De Lay.
Also, I have Levy's work with Bela,  but no solo. All others are open
season.
Blake,
You are on the right track with the names you mention
"Contemporary" & "masters" are very subjective things, but I'll  give it a
try.
Here are some suggestions of players who are a little under the radar for
the general public, though most are known to this list.

Chris Michalek's CD (Monk Alters Chi) is a fatastic example of
'contemporary' harp. Chris has beautiful tone & vibrato, & great  facility with overbends.

Michael Peloquin (House of Cards) is tasty & original in a  blues/R&B
setting. He is also an accomplished overbender with big electric  tone (also a killer
sax player & vocalist).

 I agree with the Mark Ford suggestion. Get the first album he did  with The
Robben Ford Band - I forget what it is called.

Jim Conway is a master player who's chosen genre is Irish music.

Steve Guyger is the traditional blues player who gets to me most.

As for that nearly unknown dude from Evanston, Howard Levy, I REALLY  like
the CD he did with Paul Sprawl. The CD is a little rawer than most of  Howard's
recorded work. The harp is up front & there is enough amazing  harp technique
to spend years studying..

Man, I'm leaving out a lot of people who should be listened to.

Later,
Rosco
_may.be  au.gust_ (http://www.maybeaugust.com/)

download or stream live recordings: _may.be au.gust_
(http://www.maybeaugust.com/Live.aspx)