Re: [Harp-L] Beyer mics/WAS Low Impedance Volume Control

Tim Moyer wrote >

I use a Sennheiser e604 (mine's actually the older M504, but it's the same mic), cupped. I don't run straight into the PA, but instead through a bunch of floor effects and rack units, including a Boss OC-2 octave pedal, a Digitech Synth Wah envelope filter, a PAiA TubeHead tube/solid state hybrid preamp, and an Alesis MidiVerb 4 digital effects processor. I recently added a Morely ABY switch to allow me
to switch my input signal into the separate channels of the preamp, one dialed for tube overdrive, one dialed for clean sound. At the point that the signal is fully processed, I split off a line-out that runs to the PA (for larger venues that have one), the other side feeding a Rolls RA-235 solid state power amplifier that drives a pair of Weber VST P10Qs. That way I can adjust my stage sound without affecting my level in the mix, unlike just micing the
amp cabinet.

Tim - sheesh... as a budding intermediate harp player, and without going back to school to get a EE degree, how the hay are we rookies supposed to figure out the complex world of appropriate harmonica giging electronics - is there a resourse that can walk somebody through the equipment decision tree- each component's basic value add and the logical progression up the ladder to where you top players hang out?

Like what is the first thing a clubbing harp player should get - assuming an entry-level amp, mic'd through the PA as the baseline - a harp commander?  effects.  Man thats an idiots guide I'd buy!

Help list - has this been documented somewhere in the archives -

--
Ross Macdonald,