[Harp-L] Re: Beyer M88

I can confirm what mr. Nessmith is saying re: Charlie and Mickey's use of these mics.
I work as a stage/sound and lights etc. technician at a major arts centre in London and have had the opportunity to work as a backline tech for both of these guys.

Mickey was using the M88 into a "Fat Man 2" vocal processor which then split to the PA and his monitor amp which at that time was a tweed champ with a replacement speaker which was apparently ripped out of an old TV set ( I think the champ was also mic'ed and the FOH guy would blend the two). This was about 3 and a half years ago at the Royal Albert hall so his rig may have changed since then.

Charlie I did in 2004 and he was running straight into his trademark Fender "red Knob" twin, and about the only way you can tame a beast like that is by running a low impedance mic into it (without of course doing all sorts of tube swaps & mods etc.) but Charlie was using a hired amp so no chance of  the latter.

Both these guys sounded fantastic and completely different, all the old cliches apply, tone comes from the player etc. etc.... yadda yadda yadda but it has to be said that the Beyer M88 is a wonderful mic and right up there on my wish list, it has a fantastic bottom end and can handle really aggressive lows (hardly what you'd expect you'd need from a harp mic, I know but it does seem to help to colour the sound). We often use these as a kick drum mics and they are fantastic with horns as well.

Anyway the results certainly speak for themselves and if cats like these choose to use the Beyers it's most likely that this is the mic that helps them acchieve the sound that they're going for. YMMV

Before going back into lurk mode let me just say THANK YOU to this list and it's members for being the best resource I've ever come across in terms of my own developement as a player.

All the best

Dave

This e-mail, and any attachment, is confidential. If you have received it in error,
 please delete it, do not use or disclose the information in any way, and notify
 the sender immediately. The contents of this message may contain personal views
 which are not the views of the Barbican Centre, unless specifically stated.
 All liability for errors and viruses is excluded.